Psychiatric Advanced Practice Nurse, Crown Point, IN and Chicago, IL New
Jesse Brown VA Medical Center Website
The Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, Chicago, IL and the Adam Benjamin Jr. Community Based Outpatient Clinic Crown Point, Indiana, have two (2) Nurse Practitioner positions available for the Mental Health Outpatient Clinic for the Mental Health Service Line. The incumbent for will work with the collaborating physician in an active practice to deliver mental health services to Jesse Brown VA Medical Center/ Adam Benjamin Jr., Community Based Outpatient Clinic patients.
This may include, but is not limited to: diagnosis, treatment and management of acute and chronic mental health problems; ordering, interpreting and performing laboratory and radiology tests; treatment planning, prescribing medications to include psychotropic meds and controlled substances to the extent delegated and permissible by law; and performing other therapeutic or corrective measures as indicated. Recent NP psychiatric clinical assessment experience to include prescribing psychotropic medication is vital in order to safely manage the care of mental health patients in an independent setting.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to: diagnosis and treatment of adult mild, moderate and serious psychiatric disorders; competency evaluations; diagnosis, treatment and management of patients with alcoholism and drug use disorders; individual psychotherapy including long-term psychotherapy; family therapy; group therapy; education groups, and behavior modification.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate state-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN formerly called NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a registered nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia.
- A nurse practitioner must be licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse practitioner in a State, possess a Master’s degree from a program accredited by the ACEN or CCNE, and maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.
- National certification related to assigned area
- BLS/ACLS certified
- Psychiatric-Mental Health NP certification
- 3 years recent Psychiatric Mental Health Experience
- Ability to function professionally in a high stress environment
- Ability to handle and manage complex, unstable patients and make appropriate assessment and interventions to provide safe care
- Works well with interdisciplinary team
- Evidence of strong communication skills verbally and in writing
- Skill in use of computer programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Questions may be directed to Lenne Robles, Nurse Recruiter, at 312-569-8176 or Lori Riley at 312-563-8428
Interested applicants may send cover letter and resume, denoting either Crown Point, IN, or Chicago, IL, to Lori Riley: Lori.Riley@va.gov
Department of Veterans Affairs
820 South Damen, Routing Code 118
Chicago, IL 60612
Equal Opportunity Employer
All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.